These moist and rich chocolate donuts are kissed with mint and covered in the most decadent ganache. These baked donuts are an easy one bowl treat you can whip up in no time flat. Plus I love the festive crushed candy cane sprinkled on top.
Sharing is caring!
I LOVE these chocolate peppermint donuts! They’re so tender and just perfectly sweet. You’ll definitely be eating more than one! I really enjoyed how the crushed candy cane melts in the oven and forms these ultra-moist pockets of minty goo. I might not be doing it justice in my description.
A FEW TIPS
- Make sure you add your crushed candy candy into the batter at the very end. It melts fast!
- This recipe is GREAT with toasted walnuts in place of the candy cane for all you who a re not peppermint fans.
- Keep a close eye on those donuts. They bake FAST and you don’t want to over cook them.
- You can also make the ganache by scalding the cream (hot but not boiling) and pouring that over the chopped chocolate. Cover then whisk together after a few minutes. You can zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds at 50% power if there’s a bit of unmelted chocolate left over.
- Steps to Make Chocolate Peppermint Donuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour the donut pan, In a medium bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients including the sugar Whisk together to make sure all the ingredients are distributed evenly.
2. In a separate bowl add the wet ingredients and whisk together.
3. Pour wet into dry. Whisk until combined. Stir in the crushed candy cane at the very end.
4. Pipe the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a rack.
5. For the Ganache Add the cream, chocolate and peppermint extract to a double boiler and heat until melted. Whisk and set aside to cool then dip donuts and transfer to a cooling rack.
6. Sprinkle with the crushed candy cane and ENJOY!.
If you’ve tried these donuts then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Peppermint Donuts
Rich baked chocolate donuts covered in a decadent ganache with a kiss of mint.
Prep Time 4 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 16 minutes
Servings 24 donuts
Author John Kanell
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 118mL
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips 172g
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes 66g
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 120g
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 9g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder 2g
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder 14g, unsweetened
- 1/3 tsp salt 2g
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil 60mL
- 1 cup white sugar 200g
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coffee 118mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- 2 tbsp sour cream 30g
- 1/4 cup crushed candy cane 50g
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour the donut pan
- In a medium bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Give the dry ingredients a whisk.
- In a separate bowl add the wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry. Whisk until combined. Stir in the crushed candy cane at the very end.
- Pipe the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a rack.
For the Ganache
- Add the cream, chocolate and peppermint extract to a double boiler and heat until melted. Whisk and set aside to cool.
- Once the donuts have cooled, dip in the ganache and sprinkle with the crushed candy cane.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE TRY THESE OUT!